How Do VA Statutes Determine Child Support Calculations?
- posted: Aug. 27, 2019
Virginia statutes establish guidelines for paying child support. However, because of the complexities often involved, it is wise to have a Virginia Beach child support lawyer help you deal with calculating payments.
Virginia statute § 20-108.2 provides a schedule with child support amounts based on the supporting parent’s income and the number of children being supported. The minimum child support payment per month is $65. However, parents who are exempt from this requirement include those:
- Institutionalized in a psychiatric facility
- Under life imprisonment with no chance of parole
- Medically verified as totally and permanently disabled
- Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Virginia Beach child support lawyers can also help parents challenge the child support amounts based on factors listed in VA statute § 20-108.1, such as the following:
- Monetary support for other or former family members
- Costs of visitation travel
- Unemployment or under-employment
- Exorbitant debts arising from the marriage capital gains tax liabilities from selling a family home
- Court-ordered life insurance payments and child educational expenses
- A child's independent financial resources
- A child's physical, emotional or medical condition special needs
- Child's standard of living established during the marriage
- Each parent's earning capacity, obligations, financial resources and special needs
- Marital property provisions made when property earns income or has an income-earning period
- Tax consequences, such s exemptions, child tax credit or child care credit for dependent children
- Settlement agreement that stipulates child support
- Other necessary factors to make it equitable for parents and children
For excellent legal guidance with child support issues, consult our experienced lawyers at Darrell M. Harding.
Virginia Beach: 757-499-2600
"In every case Mr. Harding takes, he strives to provide his clients with the highest level of legal service. If you choose Darrell M. Harding Attorney At Law, PLC to represent you, you can expect to receive experienced legal guidance and be treated with the utmost courtesy and respect at all times."
Below are some comprehensive pamphlets created by our firm that clients may find helpful.
Ratings & Reviews
Thomas Harding was a great lawyer. Very detailed and patient about his work. Helped me win a case that I did not think I would win. I will always refers him as my lawyer.
Thomas was so easy to work with in what to me, was a stressful situation. I had numerous questions and he never hesitated to respond back to all of them and put my mind at ease with his knowledge of all of my issues. I’ve already started re...
Thomas was so easy to work with in what to me, was a stressful situation. I had numerous questions and he never hesitated to respond back to all of them and put my mind at ease with his knowledge of all of my issues. I’ve already started referring people to him and will continue to for as long as he continues to practice.
You pay for what you get! Darrell is very knowledgeable and I trust him 100% with my case! Hopefully I’ll never need him again after my case but if I ever did he would be only a phone call away for sure!
Mr.Harding & his Paralegal Ms.Meats were attentive & Professional for my Situation. Mr.Harding.was given what he needed to represent me we spoke b4 Trial. I did get the outcome I wanted which was Custody, We didn't have to get Nasty but if ...
Mr.Harding & his Paralegal Ms.Meats were attentive & Professional for my Situation. Mr.Harding.was given what he needed to represent me we spoke b4 Trial. I did get the outcome I wanted which was Custody, We didn't have to get Nasty but if it went that way he was prepared to repreaent that Evidence as well.✅ Ms.Meats is on top.of her Game follow ups & Communication.🙂 Ty Mr.JM Harding.
Thomas and his team did a wonderful job helping me through an otherwise very difficult time in my life. I appreciate his willingness to meet when it was convient for me. I would definitely recommend his services.