How Do VA Statutes Determine Child Support Calculations?
- posted: Apr. 29, 2014
Virginia statutes establish guidelines for paying child support. However, because of the complexities often involved, it is wise to have a Virginia Beach child support lawyer help you deal with calculating payments.
Virginia statute § 20-108.2 provides a schedule with child support amounts based on the supporting parent’s income and the number of children being supported. The minimum child support payment per month is $65. However, parents who are exempt from this requirement include those:
- Institutionalized in a psychiatric facility
- Under life imprisonment with no chance of parole
- Medically verified as totally and permanently disabled
- Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Virginia Beach child support lawyers can also help parents challenge the child support amounts based on factors listed in VA statute § 20-108.1, such as the following:
- Monetary support for other or former family members
- Costs of visitation travel
- Unemployment or under-employment
- Exorbitant debts arising from the marriage capital gains tax liabilities from selling a family home
- Court-ordered life insurance payments and child educational expenses
- A child's independent financial resources
- A child's physical, emotional or medical condition special needs
- Child's standard of living established during the marriage
- Each parent's earning capacity, obligations, financial resources and special needs
- Marital property provisions made when property earns income or has an income-earning period
- Tax consequences, such s exemptions, child tax credit or child care credit for dependent children
- Settlement agreement that stipulates child support
- Other necessary factors to make it equitable for parents and children
For excellent legal guidance with child support issues, consult our experienced lawyers at Darrell M. Harding.
Virginia Beach: 757-499-2600
"In every case Mr. Harding takes, he strives to provide his clients with the highest level of legal service. If you choose Darrell M. Harding Attorney At Law, PLC to represent you, you can expect to receive experienced legal guidance and be treated with the utmost courtesy and respect at all times."
Below are some comprehensive pamphlets created by our firm that clients may find helpful.
Ratings & Reviews
always very pleasant and professional, even in an adversary situations
Mr Thomas F. Harding is an Attorney that I admire and very knowledgeable, He started on my case in May of 2019 and still in progress and soon to be over, but when I first went to Mr Harding office I was so afraid to go forward with my divor...
Mr Thomas F. Harding is an Attorney that I admire and very knowledgeable, He started on my case in May of 2019 and still in progress and soon to be over, but when I first went to Mr Harding office I was so afraid to go forward with my divorce because my husband is a mean man and he told me that he wasn't going to let me go, nor was he going anywhere I thought my life was over until Mr Harding explain everything and I knew that he had my best interest at heart and his soft voice gave me reassurance that it will be alright and with his loving secretary Mrs Raquel Knight they work together and I was bless and I thank God for them and I have two new friends now and I will be dropping in to see them occasionally, God bless Mr Thomas F Harding for all that you do for others, A job well done!
Working with this firm was an excellent experience! The communication was great and I cannot believe how fast my divorce was!! These guys are highly recommended!!
Mr. Jeff Harding and his secretary made my process very simple. Very compassionate about helping others.
I would highly recommend. Mr. Harding is a very good attorney. I was very pleased with him and the outcome of my case.